As we work on getting our cookbook together, I thought we’d share one of our signature items – Vic’s Famous Banana Bread French Toast. While most French toast recipes call for using plain yeasted breads like sandwich bread or challah, we like to up the flavor with quick breads like this banana bread or our apple muffins. The result is a denser, less eggy French toast that is perfect when topped with caramelized bananas.
The banana bread recipe itself is yummy just the way it is, or add a cup (or two!) of chocolate chips and make the best banana muffins you’ve ever tasted – just cut the baking time down to about 15 minutes.
The Banana Bread Recipe
- ½ C Butter
- ¾ C Sugar
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 C AP Flour
- 2 ea Eggs
- ½ C Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ C Applesauce
- 3 Med Bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, continuing to beat until fully incorporated.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Mix together buttermilk, vanilla, applesauce, and mashed bananas
- Alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients into the butter, beginning and ending with the wet. Mix just until combined.
- Pour into a well greased 9×5” loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes
The French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf of Vic’s Famous Banana Bread, completely cooled
- 2 large Eggs
- ¾ C Whole Milk
- ¼ C Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbl Cinnamon
- 1 Tbl Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- ½ C Brown Sugar
For the Topping:
- 3 large Bananas, peeled and sliced ¼” thick
- 4 Tbl Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Orange Zest
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- ½ C Heavy Cream
- Whisk together the remaining french toast ingredients. Slice the banana bread into ½” slices and gentle soak in the french toast batter.
- Cook the french toast in a buttered skillet or griddle over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until evenly browned and heated through. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the topping, melt the butter in a skillet over med-high heat and add the banana slices. Fry on one side until browned.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest and cook until the sugar melts, stirring gently. Add the heavy cream and bring just to a boil.
- To serve, place the warm french toast on a plate and top with caramelized bananas.
Of course, the best way to enjoy this French toast recipe is when Vic can make it for you! Although we are currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we hope to reopen soon and are taking reservations for this summer and fall. As always, any reservations cancelled more than 7 days from arrival date are done so at no charge, so don’t hesitate to book that hopeful trip for later in the year. We also have great deals on gift cards right now to give or keep for your Smoky Mountain getaway!